PREPARATION TIME: 45-60 minutes MAKES: 12
For the base:
1 1/3 cups cake flour; 1/3 cup sugar; 125g butter; 1 egg
For the filling:
8 eggs; 1 1/3 cups sugar; 1kg brocciu or goat’s milk ricotta; 2 tbsp. lemon zest; 1 tsp. vanilla extract; 1 tsp. kosher salt; Butter, for greasing pan
*berries of your choice to line the pastry base.
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- For the base, place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor and pulse until fine. Add the egg and pulse until the dough comes together and forms a ball. Cut a piece of parchment or wax paper to fit inside the base of the baking tin and grease lightly. Press the pastry onto the base to create an even layer, with some dough coming about 2cm up the sides. Prick the base with a fork and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- In the meantime begin preparing the filling; whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl until pale and lightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add cheese, zest, vanilla, and salt; whisk until smooth. (If you choose to add berries, make sure you remove any excess moisture and then arrange them on the pastry base before pouring in the cheese filling).
- Bake until barely set in the middle, about 30 minutes.
- Rotate in the oven if you notice an uneven browning on the surface.
- Leave to cool and refrigerate overnight before unmolding.
CLICK HERE for the Tarte Tatin recipe