PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
For the pastry:
200g cake flour; 100g butter, cold and cubed; ¼ teaspoon salt; 1 egg, beaten; 10ml cold water; extra flour for dusting
For the filling:
2 small onions, finely diced; 90ml balsamic vinegar; Olive oil; 250g cherry tomatoes, washed; 1 clove garlic, chopped; 1 tablespoon thyme, removed from sprig; Shaved Pecorino cheese for garnish
For the pastry:
- Use a food processor and begin by putting the flour and salt into the blender – pulse to distribute salt evenly throughout the flour.
- Add the butter and combine on a slow speed, or pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the beaten egg and continue to pulse the food processor until all the ingredients come together to form a ball.
- If the dough appears to be too dry, add the water and continue pulsing.
- Remove the ball of dough from the food processor and cover in plastic, allow to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Prepare four tartlet moulds by brushing a light coating of oil or melted butter and dust lightly with flour.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and divide into four pieces.
- Roll each piece until about 3mm thick and line the moulds.
- Trim edges, dot the base with a fork, and set aside or store in the fridge.
For the filling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Sweat the onions in a sauté pan with a little olive oil until translucent.
- Add some salt and stir often to avoid any colour or burning.
- Add the chopped garlic and thyme, followed by the balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer at a low temperature until the balsamic vinegar has reduced. Season to taste and allow cooling.
- Spoon the onion balsamic reduction into each tartlet base, dividing it evenly.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes on top, squeezing as many in as possible. (Bear in mind they will burst and shrink in the oven while they’re cooking).
- Place on a baking tray and bake in a hot oven for 15 – 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the pastry is golden and the tomatoes have burst and the juices are bubbling.
Serve with shavings of pecorino cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.