PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes, plus freezing (30-40 minutes) COOKING TIME: 20 minutes MAKES: +/- 1.5 L
INGREDIENTS BLACKCURRANT PUREE
225g Blackcurrant fresh or frozen, 50g Sugar, 50ml Water
- Combine ingredients in a sauce pan
- Bring to the boil allowing sugar to dissolve
- Reduce to desired consistency
INGREDIENTS ICE CREAM
500ml Cream, 500ml Milk, 250g Sugar, 8 Egg Yolks
- Combine cream and milk in a pot and bring to the boil very slowly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Combine sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale.
- Temper the hot milk and cream into the eggs yolk and sugar. Pouring in a little at a time while whisking not to cook the egg yolks.
- Place the pan over a gentle heat and stir continuously until thick and coats the back of a spoon +/- 10 minutes. The egg yolk must not curdle.
- Strain into a bowl, allow to cool.
- Mix in the blackcurrant puree and mix thoroughly with a hand blender until combined.
- Pour mixture into the ice cream maker. Put the machine on an churn until firm.
- Once the ice cream has set (30-40 Minutes), switch off the churning so as not to labour the machine.
- The ice cream is ready to serve (30-40 minutes).