PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes COOKING TIME: 45 minutes SERVES: 8
6-8 apples (depending on size); 250 g puff pastry (ready-made); 200 g caster sugar; 80 g butter
- Heat the dish for a few minutes over a low flame. Pour 170 g (6 oz) of sugar in the bottom and leave to caramelize.
- Still on the heat, add 50 g (1 ¾ oz) of butter, cut into small pieces.
- Remove from the heat and place the apples cut into large quarters over the bottom, rounded-side down in the caramel, squeezing them together. Add a second layer of apples, rounded-side up, so that they fit snugly between the first ones.
- Sprinkle 30 g (1 oz) of sugar and dot 30 g (1 oz) of butter cut into small pieces over the apples.
- Roll-out the pastry, tucking the edges inside the dish. Place in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (350°F) and cook for 40 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, leave to stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto the serving platter.
CLICK HERE for the Crème Brûlée recipe